Saturday, June 28, 2014

Ahh, the Tailwind, the Heat and the Lanes

6/28/14 252lbs, 56 pounds lost since 8/30/11
41 minutes, 8 miles to the Old Homestead

We moved from our home on Arnaz on the far Eastside of El Paso to our current residence about 9 months ago. When we lived "over there" I loved bicycling, but it was a challenge riding through the area because of the lack of bike lanes and paths. Every ride was an adventurous encounter with those crazy cage drivers we call "motorists". When I would take off on a ride, I would say to Bonnie "Well, I'm going out for a while to play Dodge Car!"

I was fortunate to not have any collisions or even "close encounters" with drivers. There were several times, believe me, when automobile drivers were irritated or even angry for some reason that I was out on the roads. I can't imagine why anyone would be offended that a 60 or 61 year old person would be out riding a bike. But that's another blog - I'll wait til I'm in the "right" mood to write that one!

The ironic thing is that within a month or two after we moved from that end of town to our current mansion, they put in new high-zoot bike paths all throughout my old neighborhood! I could not believe it - on Montwood and Trawood, where I had previously battled cars for supremacy, were new fancy bike lanes. I could only laugh.

Today, 9 months later, I finally had an opportunity to use the new lanes on both Montwood and Trawood, and boy oh boy was it niiiiiiiice! I rode from the area of Burges high school through to the eastside and arrived at my daughter's house in 41 minutes. The stress level through the George Dieter/Montwood/Trawood area was greatly reduced with the new lanes.

The entire ride had a tailwind because it was eastbound, and the temperature was 99 degrees. But it was an enjoyable spin nevertheless.

See you on the bike!


No comments:

Post a Comment