Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Elderly Man Cycling @ Night

6/10/14 252 pounds, 56 pounds lost since 8/30/11
27 Minute Bike Ride Tonight



As I am progressing through the opening stages of my "Golden Years", I'm discovering a new appreciation for bicycling. Tonight's ride, a meandering, relaxing spin through the neighborhood, was wonderfully peaceful. The weather was nearly perfect; a little too warm, perhaps, but niiiiice.

At 61 years of age, I appreciate every ride. It's special to be able to be active, when many others of my age are unable to. It makes me feel grateful, and the thought is not lost on me as I ride. Every breath, every turn of the cranks, every little sound are reminders. The breathiness of the air, the moonlight, even the other, younger cyclists make it the gold of my golden years.

I think I'm enjoying aging. Not just bicycling, but the whole flavor, the whole picture: Family, friends, music, church, all ten fingers. Grandkids. Wife. My 3 perfect children. It can't get better. And, my bicycling gives me the ability to lengthen the time; I believe I have many, many more years.

No comments:

Post a Comment