Sunday, June 15, 2014

Re-Thinking my Decision to Go Car-Light

6/15/14 252lbs, 56 pounds lost since 8/30/2011
No ride today.

Over the past few days, I decided to begin commuting on my bike just like the old days, and decided to go "Car Light" again. I decided to purposefully use my bicycle for all of my transportation needs except for times when I needed to carry gear (like going to music practice and carrying my guitar), or if the distance is too long, or if I was traveling with someone.

But now, on the eve of my first planned commute, I am having second thoughts. As a matter of fact, I've decided not to pursue that course.



Why? Well, first let me share what I am going to do. And that is to continue my bicycling, riding at least four times per week, with a goal of 60 minutes per ride. I will still use the bike in a utilitarian fashion when convenient; for example, trips to the convenience store or Walgreen's, or the local restaurants when I am alone. I will also ride for fitness and enjoyment.

However, as stated in an earlier post here in my blog, I am no longer interested in being political, green, or in making a "statement". I'm having difficulty seeing the logic in commuting via bicycle when I have plenty of free time to ride, ride, ride anyway. Additionally, my work schedule and my responsibility to my family to maintain the house and babysit my grandson will not allow the time for commuting.

My personal goals are also inconsistent with a "car-light" lifestyle. The most important things to me now are my Faith in Jesus and my family. Becoming "Car-Light" compromises my priorities by making personal independence a centerpiece of my life. Although I love freedom, I find freedom's greatest joy in the context of life within a family: which means commitment of time and heart. A full-blown cycling lifestyle has in the past separated me from my family, and has bordered on isolation (instead of mere independence). I remember the early 1990s when I commuted on my bike and rode thousands of additional miles when my family and I lived in Denver. My babies were 6 months old, and 18 months old at the time we moved up there. Additionally, we had a teenager that could have used a more engaged Dad. One of my greatest regrets as a father is the fact that many times during the 4-1/2 years we lived in Denver I chose to go out on the bike, by myself, sometimes for hours, instead of spending precious time with Sara, Larry and Lara. My long rides and my cycling lifestyle also left my pretty wife isolated and alone. My purpose in riding so much was not to separate myself from my family; it was only a sad (not tragic) by-product. I choose now not to do that again.

Thanks for reading. -- I will still be on the roads, riding through my neighborhood when I can. I will still reap the benefits of a bicycle-based fitness program, which is why my health is extraordinary at 61 years of age. However, I have no desire to isolate myself, at the great sacrifice of family and friends, which is where a car-light lifestyle leads for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment