Saturday, July 5, 2014

Tubes Tubes Tubes

7/5/2014 252lbs, 56 pounds lost since 8/30/11
31 minutes, to local shops

Today I was able to ride in a fashion I love - Utilitarian. It's great to be able just to go out and sightsee, or to do some distance for training or aerobics. But there's something particularly satisfying to me to go out and do errands on the bike, to go to shops and make purchases, drop off mail, etc. Today I didn't get to drop off mail, but I almost got to! Bonnie put some bills in the mailbox, but we weren't sure whether the mailman was going to come by. If he didn't, I was going to toss the letters in my backpack and ride over to the post office to drop them off. But the mailman came to our home and picked them up, so I didn't get to drop off mail.

Darn.

But I did need a couple of tubes for my tires, and I wanted to buy some sodas for myself and Bonnie. So I did get to ride "utilitarian" today, and thumb my nose at cagers because I was  - er - "Green".

I rode over to Crazy Cat Cyclery, the one on Montana by Airway, which is a little challenging to get to if you are scared of traffic. I'm not interested in breaking any speed records, so it is easy for me to pick my way through traffic (by stopping and waiting for gaps), jump up on sidewalks, etc to get to my location. Crazy Cat has convenient bike racks right in front of the store, which is cool - I wish more bike shops did that, it seems to make sense (are you reading, guys from Atom??!?). I like CC because that's where I got the Black Knight bike, plus they have a top-notch group of bike mechanics. But if you go into the place wanting to make a purchase, they have a bit of a tendency to talk down at you.

Today I went in for tubes. So, after a couple of seconds of waiting, an employee approached - "May I help you sir?"

I told her "I need 3 tubes, 700 by 32, with Schrader valves." I figured that by being as direct as possible I would be able to avoid their tendency towards lecturing. Usually the salesperson will say "Are you sure you need Schrader? You understand that Schrader valves are the same kind they put on cars. Are you sure you don't need Presta? Here, let me show you the difference."

At this time, I always have to fight back the urge to say something like "Hey - I have been riding for over 40 years, and have 60,000 miles under my belt. I know what a Dad Burned Schrader valve is!"

But I don't. Usually, I graciously allow the employee to show me the difference and I go ahead and play the role of the innocent beginner cyclist, nodding and appreciative.

Today, however, I didn't play the game - and neither did she. She graciously just went back and got them, and all was well. I wonder if it wasn't because I rode my bike to the shop and was still wearing my Skid Lid, so I almost "looked like" an actual cyclist. Or not. But it was a non-lecture visit, and was therefore pleasant.

After I got the tubes, I fought the traffic to get back into my own neighborhood, visited the convenience store to buy the sodas, and rolled home, satisfied. I love that Utilitarian cycling!

No comments:

Post a Comment