Saturday, July 5, 2014

First Flat since 2008 - But it Doesn't Count

7/5/14, 251lbs, 57 pounds lost since 8/30/14

The tires on my bike are top-of-the-line. These days, a few tire companies (notably Continental and Schwalbe) sell tires for commuting and urban cycling that are outstanding and offer great flat protection. I discussed these tires and provided links to the sites in a June 7 blog entry here.

Not a pleasant experience . . .
These tires are quite a bit more expensive than "generic" tires. Schwalbes run around $40 to $50 each, and Continentals are only slightly less expensive. However, this is a classic case of "you get what you pay for" and "you save money in the long run". If you get the $15 specials then you can expect several goathead/nail/broken glass attacks to strand you by the side of the road almost daily, especially when riding through a city like El Paso where the streets are vicious to bike tires. Just ask my niece Diane - A wonderful cyclist who purchased a high-end road bike but insists on installing inexpensive "Kenda" level tires. Her narratives about all of her flat tires is legendary in our family. I've told cyclists like her and others that if you make the investment in the higher quality tires you can stop worrying about punctures and just ride.

My last tires, which I replaced about a month ago, were Continental SportCONTACT tires and had no flats for the entire two years they were installed on the Black Knight bike. As a matter of fact, it had been 4 years at that time since my last flat - but that was before I started paying the extra $$$ for the better tires.

So there remains a choice: Spend $30 for a pair of cheap tires and replace them twice during the year ($90) for a period of two years ($180) and spend a substantial amount of time on the side of the road disassembling your bike and repairing flat tires; or get a pair of Continental Touring Plus (my current
tires) or something similar and just ride, occasionally checking tire pressure, for two years before you replace. Total investment $60 - Your choice.
Not really me . . .

But, as the title suggests, I had a flat tire yesterday on the Black Knight bike. However, it was the failure of a valve on a tube and not a puncture or tire failure, so it doesn't "count" (lol). It also was discovered in the garage before a ride, so there was none of that sitting and cussing on a curb business.

So, there was a ten minute delay while I replaced the tube in my front tire, then I had a 30 minute neighborhood tour. It was a very enjoyable ride. As I am continuing riding my bike through my 60s it continues to wake up a part of me that wants to depend on cycling and public transportation rather than an automobile for basic transportation. As I've mentioned in past blogs, it is not a lifestyle that is foreign to me. My current location (both home and work) makes a commuting lifestyle ideal. I keep deciding to do it, and then deciding to not do it, over and over - I have been very "double minded" in that regard. But the part of me that's "waking up" is getting stronger and stronger. So I imagine I'll make that change, and leave the car at home, eventually.

One thing to think about is the fact that I am turning into a poor driver. I lack attention to detail, my mind wanders, and I drive slower than everyone else - classic old guy syndrome I guess. It's a consideration, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment